Thursday, June 9, 2011

Tater Update

The good news is that the twice-baked potatoes turned out tasty -- I think they can even be stored in a bucket in the freezer without plastic wrap. The bad news is, if you've got an electric mixer whose price tag was closer to the single digits than the triple digits like me, you might end up getting a work out.

I think my problem had more to do with the ginormous potatoes I was using. I knew it would take them extra time to bake, so I set the timer for an hour and a half. Only a few of them were done by then, but it took me a little while to realize it. I had already cut most of them in half and noticed that the scooping out of potato guts was not going well, so when I put them in and baked them for another thirty-plus minutes, they got sort of dried out. Then it was a pain in the neck to scoop them and a pain in the rear to mash them. I was determined, though, so I plopped the wedding band on the top of the microwave, washed my hands, and dug in.

I didn't think there was any way in Hades that my family was going to eat potatoes with cream cheese in them -- they are not terribly adventurous in the food department -- and I turned out to have maybe a half cup of milk in the fridge. That's not much liquid for around five pounds of already kind of dry potatoes. I melted some butter in the microwave, poured it and the milk in, then dug out the plain yogurt and dumped the rest of it in, along with some salt, onion powder, and Parmesan cheese.

I definitely plan on trying this recipe again, but I will use smaller potatoes. If it is still a pain in the rear, I might wait to try it again until I get a better mixer and a better mixer is not real high on the priority list right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment